In a world that is constantly evolving, it is of utmost importance that communities identify the challenges inherent in meeting the diverse needs of Meriwether County students; especially as academic, social, and behavioral expectations continue to rise each year. It is our job as a school system to empower our students to rise to the challenges placed before them, aim high, succeed, and graduate. Standards based instruction, rigor, and relevance are major pieces of the puzzle when it comes to ensuring that our students have the tools needed to be successful; however, in many instances, our student’s need additional supports both inside and outside of the classroom to help them obtain success. Through the implementation of various frameworks such as MTSS, RTI, PBIS and Wrap Around Meriwether, Meriwether County School district is committed to serving and meeting the needs of all students and their families.
Multi-Tiered Systems of Support (MTSS) is a unique way of organizing systems of processes and procedures that allow Meriwether County Schools to create prevention, enrichment and intervention opportunities for all children by addressing the needs of the whole child through
- developing effective, well supported teachers through professional development, coaching and mentoring
- creating a positive school/district culture design with compelling and aligned vision, mission, goals and values; explicit behavioral expectations and management systems; and responsive student support services
- providing high quality curriculum that is designed provides opportunities for teachers to collaborate on instructional materials, data, differentiation, etc. to build stronger Universal (Tier 1) instruction for ALL children.
- ensuring effective instruction through fidelity of objective driven daily lessons, classroom routines and formative assessments yield the data necessary for teachers to reflect, adjust and deliver instruction that meets the needs of each student.
- authentic collaborative and active engagement with parents and community members
MTSS serves as the framework that Meriwether County utilizes to build such needed supports by not only meeting the needs of students through various school programs but by also bridging the gap between the community and the school by ensuring that partnerships are made to support the epi-generational needs of the family as a whole. Our Meriwether County family of educators are all charged with being committed to empower all students to aim high, achieve, graduate, and succeed. So if you are reading this, let’s continue to put our best foot forward when it comes to addressing ours student’s needs and let’s make the commitment to work together to make MTSS work within all the schools across the district!